Friday, July 10, 2009

Not again...

I love avocados. I love get a slice of bread and butter it, then put on some avocado slices and gently mash them, and then sprinkle it with some salt and pepper. I love guacamole. I love avocados in my salads, in my burritos, in my 7-layer bean dip...I love avocados. Unfortunately, when I was a senior in high school, I became allergic to avocados. It was a sad day and I remember it well. I was in AP Spanish and it was the end of the year. All of our tests were done, all of our finals completed, so we had a class party. Everybody brought something to contribute to the little pot luck. We also made some homemade guacamole. Before the party was even over, I started feeling a bit off. I just figured that it was because of the guacamole recipe...it had lemon juice in it and I had never had guacamole like that before. I was wrong. It took me a little bit of time to recognize that it was avocados that I was allergic to. After a couple of times of feeling bleh after eating avocados, it finally dawned on me that it was the avocados that made me curl up in a fetal position and want to die. The only time that I was able to eat avocados without having an allergic reaction, was when I was pregnant with Mason. That was a happy day =)! I tried it when I was pregnant with Amanda--no go. And when I was pregnant with Rainer--I didn't even bother trying. Every now and then, I can still remember how an avocado tastes...the creaminess, the flavor. I miss eating avocados.


Last night, I had some pineapple with my dinner. It was a simple dinner--just some wink-eyes and milk. By night time, I wasn't feeling so good. My stomach was in knots and it felt like the pineapple was reacting badly with the milk. I curled up into a fetal position--I wanted to die, and I vaguely remember drifting off to sleep. I woke up at 4 am and couldn't go back to sleep. It was then that I had a flash of realization that I'm allergic to pineapple! I am so bummed. I love pineapple. I love to just eat it with a little bit of salt. I love it in fruit salads. I love pineapple upside down cakes. And even though Robert thinks I'm crazy, I love it on pizza with Canadian bacon =). I am going to miss eating it. Good-bye, sweet pineapple.

7 comments:

  1. Oh no! That's awful. It wouldn't be so bad if you were allergic to brussel sprouts or something but avacado and pineapple are so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad Day! Those are two very delicious foods...maybe one day :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh! I'm also very sad for you! That's so weird, huh?
    Well, since I have the avacado problem I hope pineapples aren't next for me too. It's bad enough having the gluten problem. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just think it is wrong to develop allergies to things we like. It's just wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE CANADIAN BACON AND PINEAPPLE PIZZA!!! (That's all we ever order or make :)

    I hope I'm not allergic to avocados!!! The last few times I've eaten them I've felt a bit nauseated :( But we're pregnant (we're having another boy by the way we found out on Friday) and I'm hoping that's the reason for the nausea! I LOVE avocados!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ewww - I think watermelon is starting to do it to me now!!!! Nooooo! I mean, come on! What's in watermelon that would make you sick!!!!!

    ReplyDelete